Solar Panel Installation | The Process
Experienced Energy Consultants will conduct a Free Solar Evaluation to determine if your home is a good candidate for solar energy systems. Our staff will analyze your roof’s exposure to the sun as well as your energy consumption.
Once your home is determined to be a good candidate for solar, our Energy Consultants will develop a customized solar plan for your home. Our Specialists will confirm the condition of your roof’s structure as well as your electrical connections. We will calculate your anticipated savings and guide you through the Federal and State incentive programs.
Expert installers will build a customized system designed to meet your energy needs. Our staff will coordinate all of the permits and inspections throughout the process. Our Project Manager will oversee all aspects of the installation. You can follow the progression of your solar project through your personal project website.
Once your panels are turned on you can enjoy the benefits of solar energy and watch your meter spin backwards!
How it Works
- Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Panels for home consist of a series of cells which collect energy from the sun. The sun’s rays (photons) dislodge the electrons which in turn creates electricity.
- An Inverter converts the sun’s energy from DC (Direct Current) into AC (Alternating Current) so that it is compatible with your home’s electrical system.
- Your meter spins backwards and you are credited for all the power you generate!
- You can track your Photovoltaic Solar System’s production easily from your computer or phone.
- Any excess power which you produce but do not use is sent back to the utility company (grid).“You can think of the utility company as an energy storage system. During the day the excess energy you produce is stored at the utility company and your account is credited. At night when your panels are not producing energy you simply draw from your account.Similarly, when your system is over producing in May, June and July, you are “banking” this energy for use in the winter months when your solar production will not be as high. Because you are connected to the grid, as long as the grid has power-you will still have power. Even if you use more energy than your panels produce- you will still have power.”
Solar Power | Green Facts!
- Energy costs are becoming more and more important among homebuyers. According to a national study it is estimated that each 1kwh of installed solar can increase the resale value of your home by $5911. A 5kwh system can increase the resale value by $29,555.
- Depending on your specific installation, homeowners in Illinois can expect a Payback period in as few as 7.5 years.
- From 2010 to 2013 the price of a typical household solar energy system dropped by almost 30%.
It is too expensive!
Now is a perfect time to go solar. With the federal and state credits and rebates, your initial out of pocket costs are significantly reduced by 55%. Our Energy Consultants will provide you with all of the information regarding these incentives and guide you through the process.
What about the Chicago’s Extreme Weather (Snow/Cold/Hail)?
Chicago is a great area for solar. All of the modules & equipment we use will stand up to our extreme weather.
Because the panels produce energy, they do generate a little bit of heat. Any snow which accumulates on the modules will simply melt. In addition, solar modules work more efficiently in cooler temperatures. Given the same amount of sunlight, a panel on a cold day produces more energy than a panel on a hot day.
All of our modules have a 25 year warranty and have passed tests to withstand 1″ piece of hail at 50 mph. The racking is designed for 90 mph wind loads. The flashings have a 25 year warranty.
What happens when it is cloudy?
Our Energy Consultants will analyze your electric consumption throughout the year and design a system to meet your needs throughout the entire year.
You do not need perfect sunshine for your panels to produce energy. Your panels will still capture the power of the sun on cloudy or overcast days. In fact, Germany leads the world in terms of panel installations, yet they have the same usable sunlight as Alaska!
What happens when the power goes out?
Because you are still connected to the utility company, when the grid loses power, your power will be cut as well. This is to protect the utility workers trying to fix the outage. We DO NOT want your system to back feed into the grid!
Where do I store the energy?
You can think of the utility company grid as an energy storage system. During the day the excess energy you produce is stored at the utility company and your account is credited. At night when your panels are not producing energy you simply draw from your account. Because you are connected to the grid, as long as the grid has power-you will have power. Even if you use more energy than your panels produce- you will still have power.
Which Solar Companies do you work with?
We work with and support and wide array of solar companies and inverters: PV Solar Systems, Solar World Chicago, Solar World Panels Chicago, Suniva, Hyundai Solar, Emphase Inverters, Sunny Boy Inverters, SMA Solar, ABB Solar, Micro Inverters and many more.
How much maintenance is involved?
Your solar panel system is virtually maintenance free. Any dust or dirt which accumulates will be washed away by the rain. In fact, your gutters probably require more maintenance than the solar panels.
Learn About Our Free On-Site Estimates and Financing Options!
Some restrictions apply. See store associate for details.